Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A dream: A moon of scrolls


I had a vivid and bizarre dream and immediately set it down, precisely as it happened, in every detail I can remember:

I am walking in downtown La Jolla, right on the corner of Torrey Pines and Ivanhoe, a place I've known all my life. Although it is broad daylight, I look southwest up into the cloudless sky and see every star as if this is the darkest night far away from the city lights. The moon is full, large and clear, and the sun is visible, but only as the brightest star, otherwise unremarkable. I have a feeling of foreboding.

As I gaze at the bizarre sky, I see another moon rise behind the full moon. As it rises, it expands like a balloon. I look around at people passing on the street. No one seems to care what's happening. Some people look up but only smile, as if this sort of thing happens every day. Morons!

I look back up and the object is now entirely visible and is eclipsing the moon. It keeps getting bigger and bigger--it must be coming toward us at fantastic velocity. I look around again; still no one seems at all concerned, but it doesn't matter what they think anyway, since there's nothing anyone can do.

So I just look on in horror as the strange moon keeps getting closer. It hits our atmosphere, and I see ripples spread across the sky like water ripples. Suddenly I realize it isn't a moon at all but a mist. The mist resolves into thousands of tiny dots. They get closer and closer. Soon they are about to hit. I shield my head with my arms and look down. I see one clatter on the street under me, and, soon, others fall harmlessly around, some even hitting me but doing no harm. I stoop to pick one up off the asphalt. It's a simple scroll of paper wrapped around a light hollow plastic tube.

With the roar of clattering continuing like a hail storm around me, I unwrap it and it says the following in big bold lettering.



No comments:

Post a Comment